Opinions and Experiences about life and much more from yet another desi slugging it out in the U.S of A

Thursday, January 05, 2006

AMERICAN STUDENT LIFE FOR AN INDIAN

I have been thinking about blogging for nearly two months...and finally i am going to post my first blog...not only have i been thinking about blogging I had also made up my mind about my first topic ..I wanted to post about a typical student's life in America...a small account of my life in america till now...
As with all things in life there are pros and cons of a students life...it has more -ves than +ves...these are just my viewpoints some others may list some more positives more negatives....at the end of the day each one has their priorities...
CONS:
1. FOOD - I list food first bcoz at the end of the day tats wat u struggle for..and if u juz get a dinner cooked from a roommate who juz does it as a duty and a lunch whi ch is a sandwich or sometimes nothing and a breakfast of the sick old cereals..it really is sick
2. FAMILY- I do not need to type anything..i think it is pretty understandable....
3. CULTURE- I miss the tea kadai the bus stand the bajji and masal vadai(God I cant stop thinking abt food..)
4. CRICKET - No explanation
5. THE ARATTAI IN THE STREET CORNERS
6. TEMPLES
7. Putting up with some of the people here who still think you dont understand english. Example : I was talking to my owner the other day and this was the transcript of the conversation. This happened like three months back.
Me : Hii, I am Ganesh. I am doing my MBA in WVU. I have completed my M.S in WVU. Who are the other residents in this apartment.
Owner. There are two students living in this apartment. There is a lawyer living in this apartment. After this he asks seriously, " Do you know who a lawyer is ".
These types of incident really pisses me off. There are many incidents like these for my friends. Can somebody please tell them that we can read write and understand English?
8. SNOW - It looks good only in the pictures or online photo albums. It will be really sick if you have to walk in the hilly roads like i do . Ask me about snow as i have numerous incidents of falling down in the snow. Snow is not for me!!!!!!!

PROS
There has been too much negativity in the air. Let me list out the postives.
PROFESSIONAL EXPOSURE - This is the reason most of us come here.
RESPONSIBILITY - You become more responsibile as you have to do your own .....
I do not think I would have become more responsible if I were in India.
LIVING STANDARD - Living standard is definitely better.Day to day comfort is more.
SPORTS(NFL, NBA) - If you are an avid sports watcher like me you get to watch NFL, NBA and not to mention College Football College Basketball. These things take up a lot of my time too!!!!
PLACES : You get to see more places.
MONEY : Even though you can only save peanuts, that peanut is still worth more at the end of the day.
AND FINALLY : You are living in the USA the best place to live in the earth (????) according to some sections of the population.

At the end of the day , negatives outweigh the positives. I do sometimes think whether is it worth struggling away from you really want to be. I hope it is. But still life goes on. I hope to go back in probably 5-6 years.
P.S : I think this has been a pretty cumbersome post. ( Especially for those who do not livehere) anyway I have managed to kill 2 hrs of my time . I do not know how frequently I will update my blog as I have a busy schedule and equally I am a pretty lazy guy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dei somberi... type abt your opinion da... dont escape saying " i neednt say about this" how can we local folks know da ;)

8:53 PM

 
Blogger gany said...

yaa jg we can do that some time..but i think it will be a very big task

8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home